I love to reuse and repurpose! I discovered another use for the fabric in old jeans. I make “scruffy posies” from the denim! With the distressed look one of the “in” things right now, the posies are sure to find a home on one of your layouts – or even a card!
Want to try it? Read on!
First, gather some old denim, the scruffier, the better!
Using scissors or pinking shears, cut some circles in graduated sizes. Make 3-4 circles for each posy you’re creating.
Place circle on a surface that is specifically for arts and crafts- not your table top, as it will become scratched! I used a craft mat.
Using your darning needle or other sharp pointed instrument, scruff all around the edges of each circle, pulling threads as you go. The threads will stick out “every which way;” that’s just what we want!
When you have finished scruffing the edges, layer the circles one atop the other.
CRAFTY TIP : Dark denim is usually lighter on the inside. Flip the second circle over when you layer it atop the first one.. This gives subtle colour contrast on the surface of your flower.
Thread a needle with embroidery floss (I use it because it’s strong) and put a stitch throught the center of your posie to hold the layers in place. At this point you could use the floss to emboider a “center” in your flower. I don’t do this, I just finished the floss off with a knot in the back.
There- you have a scruffy posie! Ready to embellish?
Ideas for embellishing your posie with “leaves” and flower “centers”:
1. Make some pretty ribbon “leaves” for your posies. SNS Ribbon is perfect for this! This is a great opportunity to use up small scraps of precious ribbon treasure!
2. Add a pretty button center. Adhere with a Glue Dot.
3. Use your Sizzix or other cutting system and some scraps of patterned paper to create leaves. (BasicGrey’s “Perhaps” Collection patterned paper was used for the top flower.) The Sizzlit die used for these leaves is labelled “Flower, center and leaf.” Only the leaves were used.
4. Try your hand at cutting some leaves from scraps. The leaves above were created with some scraps of Dream Street paper. The slightly distressed copper-look button is perfect for this scruffy posie!
5. Match buttons and ribbon for a “put-together” look. For another look, you could sew the buttons in place with matching floss or thread rather than adhering with a glue dot.
6. The Dollar store is a great source of “faux” flowers. You can use leaves from them to embellish your posies. Just remember to distress them so that they are suitably “scruffy!”
7. Want some vines or swirls around your flower? Keep your eyes peeled, because they’re everywhere! I found some in my “Architectural Accent” (#3 and #4) Sizzlit dies, as you can see above. Using scissors, I simply trimmed out the swirly portions I needed. Presto: Vines!
7. Here is my finished layout, using 3 scruffy posies embellished with buttons and swirls, and accented by Distress Stickles in Walnut Stain.
Thanks for being here, hope you enjoyed this “making Scruffy Posies” tutorial. Can’t wait to see what YOU’LL create!